Lead Development Engineer / Architect
What does Criton do?
In the hospitality sector, guests are increasingly using their mobile to maximise utility and value from their stay. Consumers now expect a dynamic, highly personalised experience that adapts to them and their context. A tough challenge where the bar is constantly being raised. That’s where Criton comes in!
Criton helps hotels, resorts, and serviced apartments respond to this challenge and deliver a phenomenal guest experience through beautiful, customised mobile apps. We integrate with the technology hotels use, leverage additional content and use data analysis to optimise the entire experience. The result is delighted guests who get the most from their stay and hotels who have happy, repeat customers.
Where are Criton now and where is Criton going?
We’re a 3-year-old company that’s grown from simply digitising accommodation information to a recently revamped app that now includes deep hospitality technology integrations as well as features like chat, push notifications and digital door keys – with lots more planned for 2020! So now is an exciting time to join as we continue to expand our customer base globally, find innovative solutions to really difficult issues and generally shake up the hospitality sector. It’s going to be an incredible journey of exploration!
What would I be doing?
We’re looking for a Lead Development Engineer / Architect to help shape our technical direction. You’ll get the opportunity to take on a leading role within the development team, assessing the future technical needs of our business and creating an architecture that can help us realise those business objectives.
As a small but growing business, you’ll need to help us figure out what architectural patterns can help us scale to meet our growth plans, be flexible enough to adapt to new requirements and allow for new integrations while being resilient, able to withstand small operational issues without loss of service.
Throughout 2019, we transitioned away from an older, legacy system we now have a new app framework developed in Flutter with back-end systems running Python / Django – leveraging a range of AWS services. This is a greenfield opportunity to get involved at ground level and help create a full-stack solution across the mobile app and the back-end services platform. We’ll trust you to bring in best-practice distributed systems patterns while looking for simple and clean solutions that don’t overcomplicate. We’re focused on solving business problems using technology and keeping our efforts on building, exploring and innovating which requires a foundation of code and architecture that is easy to understand, improve and maintain.
Working within the Product Development team, the role is broad and can be shaped to the person’s existing skills and personal development plans but responsibilities will include:
- You will take a leading role in technical strategy, working with team members and CTO to explore solutions that help realise the business goals through whiteboarding, documentation and prototyping.
- Your role is technical and hands-on, where you will nurture an environment which adopts great engineering practices around clean, maintainable code, operational performance, analytics, security and reliability.
- You will lead on the development of key features and vital sub-systems in our platform, building major components and product elements while working with team members to fulfil wider product deliverables.
- You will enhance your team’s skills and capabilities through mentoring, questioning, learning, code reviews and encouraging open debate about the best solutions.
- You will participate in estimation, prioritisation, and planning of tasks from the product backlog, using a measured perspective that balances technical, product and analytical needs.
- Supporting Sales / Marketing / Customer Experience with technical guidance as needed during customer engagements.
- You will have shared ownership for the effectiveness of the software delivery process, constantly seeking ways to reduce friction and make our end-to-end development quicker, predictable and reliable.
- Collaboration across the company, working directly with Product Managers, UI / UX team to develop a compelling user experience that works well and looks great.
- New opportunities for you to grow. At Criton, you have a lot of input in how the role is shaped to meet where you want to go with your career.
What type of person would succeed in this role?
- Can work well with ambiguity with an ability to breakdown technical vision into deliverable chunks that can be iteratively developed and improved.
- Strong business sense with an ability to make justified prioritisation decisions, assessing short-term goals while considering long-term direction.
- You naturally lean towards metrics / information-based decision-making and regularly ask “What does success look like? What’s the outcome we want from this?”
- You seek the opportunity to have your imprint on the product we develop, the way we work and the values we embody.
- Innovative, questioning, solution-oriented and curious by nature. A constant learner!
- You desire autonomy and thrive in an environment where you are trusted to develop business outcomes.
- You help foster an open, supportive environment. We believe in an idea meritocracy where everyone’s ideas are welcome and the team are always open to input.
- Technically-minded, you have a real interest for new technologies, the problems they solve and how they can be applied to real-world situations.
- Self-directed with a bias for action who enjoys working in a fast-paced Agile environment.
- Deep sense of ownership with the determination to fail fast, learn and adapt.
- And whatever you bring to the role! You’ll bring your own thoughts and ideas to the role and these new perspectives will enhance our environment in ways we haven’t even considered yet.
What skills are you looking for?
We have a high bar and expect a lot from our people. But we don’t expect everyone to be there from day one. In fact, we want a few gaps! That’s why you’re seeking a new role, right? To grow, learn and develop?
The list below is a guide but if you are, ambitious, self-driven and want the opportunity to gain this experience, we’d love to hear from you!
- In addition, you will have worked within a mobile development environment with knowledge of either React Native, Dart, Swift, Objective-C, Kotlin.
- Experience with APIs, developing new interface definitions, data manipulation and integration protocols like REST, GraphQL, etc.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and micro-services architectures, understanding how to build flexibility, scalability and resilience into solutions.
- Proven track record of delivering measurable and meaningful business impact.
- Good familiarity with DevOps best-practices including logging, metrics and monitoring. Knowledge of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) a plus.
- Affinity for good process, showing how you’ve instilled behaviours in the organisation and continually improved what you do and how you do it.
- Your unique skills – and the ones you want to develop! We’re highly supportive of personal development and are looking for people with ambition and a passion to improve.
Other desirable skills
- Hospitality industry experience.
- Experience working with teams to create and track OKRs / KPIs.
- Leadership experience would be a benefit – leading a team and developing team members.
What do we offer?
- City centre location within a vibrant startup incubator community.
- Flexible working hours, allowing for personal adjustments for work/life balance.
- Ability to work from home on average one day each week.
- Regular company events for social engagement and team building.
- Life Insurance
- Annual Staff Bonus
- Training for professional development
- Investment in you and your skill development with opportunity to attend relevant events and conferences to aid career / skill development. (We recently sent developers to Flutter Europe Conference and organise the Flutter Scotland MeetUps).
- The opportunity to join a dynamic startup, pushing the boundaries in hospitality technology and getting to work on hard problems in a complex and competitive marketplace.
- Open, supportive, inclusive environment where you can explore your ideas and make a big difference to the product and business.
To apply please send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org